Friday, July 30, 2010

Our Baby Fish

It has become more apparent this summer that KK & AJ are little fishies. They have a real love for the water (well pool water anyway, we haven't ventured toward lakes or oceans just yet) and they have no apparent fear. As I almost drowned twice as a toddler in my rush to get into the water (Opa saved me both times, whew), and I could be found as a child near anything that held water, I know that this is definitely something I share with my water babies. I have no one else to blame but myself!














KK has been swimming since she was 6 months old, but it was last summer where she started to show us just how much she loved to go under and jump into the pool. This summer has only increased that. KK dives headfirst into the 11 foot diving area (daddy is there to catch her and point her back to "shore"), she jumps from the side of the pool into 4-5 foot deep water and thinks its amazing that she can touch the bottom and swim to the top, she jumps through a waterfall into deep water (at our waterfall pool we can sit behind the waterfall on a ledge and jump out from there) and she is really starting to actually swim by herself in the deep end without jumps or help from us.













She loves the pool and begs us daily to go. While most kids her age are in the shallow end or by the bucket pool, KK is in the deep end jumping over and over again without taking a break unless she is forced to. Here are some pictures of her jumping into the 5 foot water. I hope to bring some video later of her dives and waterfall jumps...


AJ was 3-6 months old last summer, so his water experience was limited to short jaunts with Mommy before shivering and wanting a nap. Regardless, he has joined ranks with Sissy and is just as fearless and active. Our summer started with AJ finding new freedom in being able to walk around the shallow end and around the bucket pool with just his little shovel in his hand (in a kung-fu grip that no one is able to crack I might add). Slowly this changed to him thinking it was a fun game when he would fall into the water and go under for a moment before we pulled him up.

That has fully changed now. AJ heads for the shallow end, and continues walking quickly until the water is up to his ears. If I pull him back to shallower water, he proceeds to fall to his knees so he can go under or crawl-swim around fully immersed. Thanks to some encouragement from Dada and Sissy, AJ now also loves jumping off the ledge into the deep end and going under fully before coming back up.
He is actually holding his breath the whole time now, pretty impressive for a 16 month old. He also started diving in the 11 foot pool with KK last week. People around us were very amazed to watch him walk to the ledge of the diving pool and just jump straight in without hesitating. I might have been holding in a breathe (or sceam) as I watched my baby but I knew Daddy was there. We haven't had any waterfall dives (nor will we this year) but to my surprise AJ was all about sitting on the ledge behind the falls and watching the water come down around us. Here are some pictures of our little AJ at the pool.
Like I said, no fear. But Daddy & I are teaching both of them to respect the water, and so far I think they have the message.

As a last note, it never fails to crack me up, while KK refuses to leave the pool, AJ's favorite part appears to be the showers. He will stand under the warm water for ten minutes or more, just enjoying the spray and thinking he is so big to be standing there washing like the big boys. Its adorable!

More later - I better get some rest as tomorrow is Saturday and that means we will be at the pool once again! G'night!

No comments:

Post a Comment