Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Alabama Vacay: The Great Outdoors NOT

So every vacation has a snag or two... whether its family drama, rain on your beach vacay, losing your wallet. Those things happen. It is when several things happen in a span of a day that make you question it all. Will I keep my eye on the silver lining? Or should I just give in to a huge pity party and cry and pack my bags?

So what, pray tell, happened to us? Well after two days (three if you count the day we arrived), we settled into a great routine of cooking and spending time at the beach, going to the pool, naps. We were having a great time... then Wednesday rolled into town. And I think it almost ran us over.

I walk downstairs to make breakfast for us while Greg and the kids wake up and start to get ready for the beach. I open up the pantry, and decide suddenly: lets eat on the beach. I will grab some cereal bars and some fruit. I reach for the box only to see crumbs all over the shelves... and then I see little brown drops on the floor. Then I look around and see more around the kitchen on the counters... and on the dining room table... and in the living room. I will spell it out for you: a MOUSE joined our beach house. I freaked a little. I also thanked God out loud because I cleaned and put all our stuff upstairs before bed the night before. We pull the kids out of the house and head to the beach to let them play while we wait for the front office to open.

Now while we are waiting... first, I should mention that the beach is beautiful. White soft sand, blue clear waters... We play in the sand and build castles, we take walks, we splash in the water... water with jellyfish. And other marine life I prefer not to think about when I am in the water. We have lived peacefully though with these jellies thus far. The kids scream when they see one on the beach, we walk around it, life moves on. So we are on the beach, taking in the view and trying so hard to make sure that what we just discovered at home isn't going to ruin anything for us and our week. For some reason I cannot fathom at this very moment, I decide to wade out to other side of the sand bar. I am there for point two seconds.. and then I feel it. My leg is stinging. DARN JELLYFISH! I rush back to the beach to wallow for a moment with Greg. He just looks at me and we start laughing. I mean really? Really? It hurt dude.

The front office opens and we immediately decide to move to a house across the street. We tell the kids its time to get our stuff and head back to the car. It is then that we discover another Alabama pest that has picked that moment to attack: the mosquito. Halfway down the boardwalk, we are all running and swatting at our arms and legs. They got us (except for AJ, we still aren't sure how he managed that). SERIOUSLY?

We make it back to the golf cart and we give each other a long look. We can either cry now, or we can make the best of it. And that is why I love my hubby and my kids. We start laughing. We crack jokes about it. What else can you do? Obviously the great outdoors hates us in Alabama.

It wasn't easy packing up and moving everything, but so worth it. We are now in a house that is even nicer than the one we had. We also have bug spray and started bringing a net to the beach to catch those mean jellyfish and we throw them far away. So do your best great outdoors, we can handle it!

In all seriousness, this was just a crazy story to share. No harm done to our vacay. Though we did wait for a few minutes to see if storm clouds would develop and follow us around. So far, its sunny and clear.

Sweet dreams from Alabama... currently rodent, jellyfish and pest free :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment